Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [moved] Hardware accelerated HD Video playback

[moved] Hardware accelerated HD Video playback

Hi All,

Being frustrated like many NC10 owners (or any netbook with Intel GMA 945 Video) trying to play HD 1080P video , I search the web to find something to accelerate video and came across the BROADCOM BCM70012 - AVC/VC-1/MPEG PCI Express® HD Decoder Chipset for Netbooks/Nettops - this also led me to a video demonstrating a HP netbook with the card and a Lenovo without playing the same HD video clip... the results look amazing!
    Seems Dell, HP, and Acer are already selling these cards as optional... why don't Samsung do this (or maybe they have?!)

I know from these forum's that some Special Edition (SE) NC10's have a spare mini PCI Express slot, and wonder if anyone has tried to install one of these cards on a NC10 / any netbook with mini PCI-E?
    [img width=550px]http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss269/netbookc/IMG_1692_c_900x600.jpg[/img]

I found the only place to buy them is on ebay, and they sell for around £20 ($24). (Search Ebay)

I've not opened my NC10 to check if there's a spare mini PCI-E, but even don't mind sacarificing the wireless mini PCI-E card for one of these, and then use a USB WIFI dongle.

Has anyone ever tried this? I looked around the forums but could not see any mentions apart from "USB Video decorders"....

Is this a mod worth looking into? Some Dell drivers are available here. Not sure if it would work with the NC10, or what video software would work (like Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre or Mediaplayer Class Home Cinema?)

From this Dell Mini forum it looks like someone has sucessfully installed it.

Found another US ebay seller with more info.

Think I might sleep on this but would be good to get thoughts...

Thanks,
    Banzai

POST Updated: Install guide and pics added.

Adobe will update Flash to take advantage of this video hardware early next year. See this.

Instructions

NB: NC10 only has 1 mini PCI Express slot that is used by the Atheros WiFi card.
    To use the BROADCOM BCM970012 HD Decoder Mini PCI-E Card you will need to remove the WiFi card.
    If you don't mind using a USB WiFi dongle then this would probably be ok for you.

Some Special Edition (SE) NC10, and other netbooks have a spare mini PCI express slot, I cannot
    confirm if the spare slot would work. There's a space for a 2nd slot in my NC10, but I lack any soldiering experience to add one on. Maybe Renton or feckewe can help as it seems it has been done sucessfully!

Pre-requisites:

1.Order the BROADCOM BCM970012 HD Decoder Mini PCI-E Card from ebay sellers (search for "BCM970012") - They are usually shipped from Hong Kong for around £15-£25 pounds.

2. Download the BCM970012 driver from here:

(Windows 7 Driver is here).

File name: sp43723.exe, (6.53MB)
    Released: 2009-05-20
    Version: 02.33.00.00
    Compatibility: Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit), Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    System requirements: Operating Systems
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise 32 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic 32 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Vista Business 32 Edition

Description: This package installs the driver for the Broadcom Decoder Card in the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems. The Broadcom Decoder Card enhances the video acceleration function to improve video playback performance.

3. Download the Arcsoft Total Media Theatre software here:

Filename: sp43732.exe, (52.62MB)
    Released: 2009-05-08
    Version: 2.1.19.128 A
    Compatibility: Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    System requirements: No additional prerequisites
    Description: This package contains the ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre high-definition media player for the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems.
    Enhancements: Fixes an issue where high-definition playback is choppy.

Installation

1. Power down the NC10 / Netbook.

2. Unplug the battery.

3. Remove all screws from the base of the netbook.

4. Gentley detach the bottom of the base to expose the motherboard.

5. Make a note of the WiFi aerial connections, then remove them by gentle twisting action.

6. Unscrew the WiFi card and pull it out:

- You can see the Broadcom card has some thermal sticker pad covered over the chips:
    Front Image:

Back Image:

7. Install the Broadcom card and place screw back in. Make sure to move the WiFi cables away from any metalic circuitary:

- You can see space for another mini PCI slot, labelled HSDPA:

8. Attach the base back on and screws back in.

9. Boot up the computer.

10. Windows will prompt to install drive for new hardware. Click cancel:

11. Run sp43723.exe to extract and install the drivers:

12. Check System Properties for new hardware. Make sure no conflicts:

13. Run sp43732.exe to install the Arcsoft Total Media Theatre software:

14. Play some HD content and enjoy:

- At the moment only video player support seems to be for Arcsoft, but will check around to see what else is supported.

I'll try to add a Video later.

Hope this helps, and please ask if any questions.

Banzai

Hi Banzai, and welcome.

I have no idea if your project is feasible or not, it sounds very interesting though. Good luck, and let us know how it goes :-)
    Perfect Pearly White Original NC10 - 2 GB Kingston RAM / Windows 7 Ultimate

Hi Banzai, thanks for sharing your results and hope it proves successful. We look forward to hearing back. If you get a chance to take a picture then that would be great - this could be worth a front page post (if it works !)!
    The SammyNetbook Admin

Hi tontb, Jez,

Thanks for your encouragement!

It's looking hopeful from these Acer modders:
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/v...tart=20#p99618

I've already downloaded the drivers and software from HP... should get the card in the next 2-3 days.

Will post install guide / pics, and try to do a video too!

There isn't a spare slot for that HD Accelerator card. There does appear to be a place where a 2nd slot would go to the left of the wireless card. I have a pict of the inside that shows this but don't know how to post it.

-Ursa

[quote1254419694=ursa99]There isn't a spare slot for that HD Accelerator card. There does appear to be a place where a 2nd slot would go to the left of the wireless card. I have a pict of the inside that shows this but don't know how to post it.-Ursa [/quote1254419694]
    There are details of how to post pictures here

Hope this helps
    2x Black NC10's (1x hsdpa) 2 GB + Win 7 and XP dual boot + UNR & Chrome OS, Nokia Lumia 920 WP8 on 4G

[quote1254427684=ursa99]
    There isn't a spare slot for that HD Accelerator card. There does appear to be a place where a 2nd slot would go to the left of the wireless card. I have a pict of the inside that shows this but don't know how to post it.

-Ursa
    [/quote1254427684]

I don't have a NC10 SE (Special Edition) to confirm if the 2nd slot actually works... found a pic on another forum.

I plan to take out the Wifi card to see if this works. I'm mostly desk bound on a LAN, and have a 3G and WiFi USB dongle.

Should be getting the card tomorrow or Sat.

[quote1254500421=banzai]
    Slept on it and decided to take the plunge!

Adobe will update Flash to take advantage of this video hardware early next year. See: http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pres...dBroadcom.html

This would really make the netbook so much better!

Found Arcsoft TMT fom HP here:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3996346

- appears to be free!

Will report back when I have installed the card.

Banzai.
    [/quote1254500421]

Don't count on Adobe!
    I notice there is a Flash player alternative called Gnash
    http://getgnash.org/
    If somebody can compile the source code, then we might be able to play online HD on our netbooks NOW.

I've been reading about the Broadcom Crystal HD Media Accelerator and was interested in buying one for my laptop in express card format, however, the fact that only Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre is supported by the card is disappointing to say the least.

As I currently use Media Player Classic Home Cinema on my desktop to playback all my video content, e.g., HD-DVD, Blu-ray, 720p & 1080p H.264 mkv files etc, using proprietary software, such as Arcsoft's, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Hopefully MPC HC will eventually support the card, but until then, I'll be staying away.
    Samsung NC10 - Black l XP Pro l 2GB RAM l Logitech VX Nano l LG GSAE50L external DVD drive