Thread: Fn keys for brightness adjustment not working

Fn keys for brightness adjustment not working

Newbie here, I am unable to adjust the brightness of my screen using the Fn + brightness up and down keys. I have a brand new NC10 and i have followed freddys thread and made changes to it to improve performance but it seems i cant adjust it. I have display manager and battery manager installed still. Help

its ok i have now resolved this with the use of another thread. Updated the display manager and that has worked a treat.

blader1611 - Welcome to the forum

You need Samsung Easy Display Manager installed as this software operates the function/brightness cursor keys.

Have you disabled any services? and was it working before the changes were applied?

You may want to undo some of the tweaks you have applied if EDM is installed correctly or maybe a re-install of EDM will suffice.

Bios 11CA is required for the brightness control to work but your machine, if brand new, should already have come with it pre-installed. Check with [F2] at boot to enter the bios to see the version installed.

Hope this helps
    2x Black NC10's (1x hsdpa) 2 GB + Win 7 and XP dual boot + UNR & Chrome OS, Nokia Lumia 920 WP8 on 4G

Actually I spoke too soon as I am still having the problem. It seems every time I log on I lose the ability to adjust the brightness. If I go to the display manager and select the option for display manager for XP it then all starts working again. Problem is I dont want to have to be doing that everytime I log in plus my netbook now opens with the samsung display folder on screen - how the heck has that happened? Any answers will be gratefully received for this problem. Thanks Jeepers by the way I will check out my BIOS as I had an old version of display manager so may be this netbook isnt as new as I thought!

blader1611, as basic as it is, when tou make the changes are you clicking on the "apply" or "save" button. Many times I forget this step and my changes aren't saved. Just a thought.

dockehr

I am using apply whenever i have the option. It must be another setting somewhere other than in the Samsung Easy Display folder which must activate this on start up. Is there an option in msconfig which enable EDM on start up as it does seem to be a manual operation at the minute.

blader1611 - It may be best to uninstall EDM, re-boot and then re-install it again. Go into the bios with [F2] at boot and set the brightness control option from Auto to User on the boot tab.

As mentioned previously, you will need bios version 11CA installed for this to function correctly.

Hope this helps
    2x Black NC10's (1x hsdpa) 2 GB + Win 7 and XP dual boot + UNR & Chrome OS, Nokia Lumia 920 WP8 on 4G

I also had the brightness problem after taking the bold step of doing a clean install of Win7 Professional on my NC10 (after switching hard drives and retaining my old confi just in case). By dong a clen ainstall, I had lost all of those useful little Samsung utilities which come in so useful. If you go to the Samsung site (support/download section), you will see all of those utilities listed per OS. I went straight the brightness dopwnload first - it went straight in and worked immediately. I recommend you browse around that set of utility downloads and you can get the whole lot working in no time at all.

I hate to admit this but the problem was user error (sorry everyone). I checked again what I had done and realised I downloaded Win 7 EDM instead of XP! The XP download seems to have 2 versions of EDM and I found that the only one which worked was the one in folder 22101.

blader1611 - No problem, glad it's all working now