Thread: Preparing a N150 for re-sale

Preparing a N150 for re-sale

Hi there, hope someone can help.

I have a a Samsung N150 netbook running Windows 7 Starter, purchased about two years ago, which I'm looking to sell. Before doing so I'd like to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. As I'm sure most of you know, the netbook doesn't have a CD/DVD drive and I'm fairly sure it didn't come with any software restore disks. I should also point out that I don't have any proof of purchase, and that the Microsoft product key on the underside of the netbook has been pretty much wiped off.

Given all this, how would I go about wiping the hard drive, ensuring any personal data has gone before reinstalling the operating system? I should point out that I have very little experience of doing this sort of thing, so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Assuming you bought your netbook brand new...
    And set up according to the introductory paper work....
    And have never installed Linux and are STILL running the original Windows software (plus your choices like Office)...

Which is Exactly what most people do...

First download and install the program Magical Jelly Bean KEY Finder (to see what the Licence Number is)
    from - http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

write down the Number.... write it on the Label underneath and put clear tape over it to protect it.

Copy any Photos, emails, Music and Documents OFF your Netbook (usually in the My Documents Folder).

With your netbook switched OFF

Switch ON and start tapping the F4 key

The F4 key should take you to the RECOVERY Window - If Windows starts, close down and try again.

In the Recovery Window you need to select the CENTRE choice - FULL Restore

This will completely delete any information from the C:\ Drive and RE-INSTALL Windows/Samsung Drivers and some extra programs.. as if it was Just set up after Purchase.

Just make sure that you remove any personal stuff of the D:\ Drive
    Black Samsung N150 Plus N455 2Gb RAM - Linux Lite 1.0.8
    Black Samsung N150 HSPA N450 2Gb RAM - WIN 7 Home + Lubuntu 13.10
    Black Asus EEEPC 1011PX N550 2Gb RAM - Win 7 Starter + PCLinuxOS

It's also possibly to boot off a USB key and reinstall that way, but get the windows registration key 1st ! (as said above)

Gray

Thanks sammyone and glaurenson for the help. I downloaded Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder and got the product key.

One other quick question: will the Full Restore option in the recovery window work in the same way as a Secure Erase? If not, then is it possible to do a secure erase before reinstalling Windows 7 on the N150?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by peter_b View Post
    Thanks sammyone and glaurenson for the help. I downloaded Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder and got the product key.

One other quick question: will the Full Restore option in the recovery window work in the same way as a Secure Erase? If not, then is it possible to do a secure erase before reinstalling Windows 7 on the N150?

Thanks again
    Anyone able to help with my secure erase question?

Thanks

My apologies, I could have sworn I did answer this...

When you do a Complete Restore, The program will completely reformat and delete any information from the C:\ Drive and RE-INSTALL Windows/Samsung Drivers and some extra programs..over the TOP of any information on the Hard drive...

As it does the WHOLE Partition, there is nothing left for others to find.
    Black Samsung N150 Plus N455 2Gb RAM - Linux Lite 1.0.8
    Black Samsung N150 HSPA N450 2Gb RAM - WIN 7 Home + Lubuntu 13.10
    Black Asus EEEPC 1011PX N550 2Gb RAM - Win 7 Starter + PCLinuxOS

That's great, thanks for all your help sammyone!